This week marks one month at the new studio in San Diego. There’s still a lot of work to do before everything is completely finished, but I’ve made a lot of progress. All the equipment, gear, and instruments are set up; I’ve organized my new mic locker; the old acoustic treatment is hung; and I’ve built two new massive bass traps and five more broadband absorbers. I’ve also been moving forward with an EP I’m recording for Vantage. We had another session last week and finished up guitars, so we’re about halfway done with that now. I’ve also been mixing an acoustic EP for Cramer Creative and that’s about halfway done now as well and it’s sounding awesome.
The other thing I devoted a lot of energy to this month was trying to figure out my plan for adding a live room. Originally I was planning on building a room myself, but because of some complications with the space, it became clear that would be very difficult and impractical. So instead I’ve decided to purchase a very high quality pre-made isolation booth from VocalBooth.com. That room will be approximately 8 feet by 8 feet and will be great for tracking vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, and other instruments. While it would also be possible to track drums in the isolation booth, I will most likely track drums in the control room because it is so much larger and I’ve already done some tests and drums sound really nice in that room. The booth should hopefully be arriving in another week or two and then everything should be up and running sometime in the middle of September.
In the meantime I’ve got some more treatment to build for the control room. I’m building a 3 foot by 3 foot QRD diffusor for the back wall, and I’m also building some combination absorber/diffusor panels for the ceiling. I’ve also got more mixing to do and some promotional and marketing materials to put together.
Everything is really starting to come together.