Hi, I'm Peter Duff, the engineer here at The Grey Brick Recording Studio in San Diego. However, through online mixing I've had the amazing opportunity to work with clients across the country and around the world. I've worked on everything from simple bed room recordings to songs recorded on large analog consoles in professional studios. Wherever you recorded, a great mix is a critical part of bringing your music to life.
Music and audio are my passions. I strive for clarity, energy, and musicality in my mixes and masters. I love working on all kinds of music. Whether you're a rock band, pop, or hip-hop artist going for a big sound with lot of power and excitement, or you're a singer-songwriter looking for a more quiet, intimate, and detailed sound, staying true to your vision and sound while delivering professional radio-ready results is my priority. I also will go above and beyond to make your music everything it can be. Tuning, simple editing, reamping, light additional production, and basic mastering is all included if needed.
What I Use:
I mix in Pro Tools, and use some of the highest quality plugins available from UAD, Waves, Slate Digital, FabFilter, Softube, and more. While I do mix "in-the-box" (aside from the occasional outboard compressor or EQ,) the majority of the plugins I use are modelled on classic analog hardware and I use amazing virtual tape and console emulation to achieve the warmth, saturation, and body associated with an analog mix. I also use very high quality monitors, D/A conversion, and a well treated room to ensure that the mix will sound great and translate well to a variety of playback devices.
"What can I say about Peter, he is a very patient and a guy who understands detail. My mix came out very nice and I'm very happy with it and will be returning with more jobs. I recommend highly."
"Grey Brick Studios did a great job mixing and mastering my tracks. The finished product rivaled a mix I had done at a major Atlanta studio for more than twice the cost. Highly recommended."
"I'm speechless, these are the rare moments where you meet a person that can bring your vision to a reality, moments like that are unforgettable. Thank you Peter and lets go to the next"
"Awesome studio, awesome guy! I worked with Peter twice in 2014 for two different projects. Not only did both projects turn out amazing, it was a great experience. He truly works hard to make sure your project meets industry standards and sounds GREAT!"
"Peter takes pride in his craft while offering an affordable price for DIY musicians/bands. With great equipment and a professional vision on multiple genres, Peter is the right candidate!"
How It Works:
- At the top of this page, select the type of mix you need (full band or acoustic/solo) and click "buy now with PayPal."
- You will be taken to a PayPal checkout page where you can adjust the number of mixes if you would like to order more than one at once.
- After placing the order, follow the link to return to "Peter Duff Music" or "The Grey Brick Recording Studio" and you will be taken to a page with a link you can use to upload your files to a shared Google Drive folder. There is also a form on that page to give me more information about your project.
- Once I receive the files and payment I will begin working on the mix and then I will send you a first draft normally within 1-2 weeks (depending on how many orders are in line.)
- You then have the opportunity to let me know if you would like anything changed in up to two rounds of revisions. (You will get a mix 1, and if changes are necessary, a mix 2 and 3. Beyond that, we reserve the right to charge an additional fee for additional revisions if they become excessive.)
- I will deliver your final mix as a CD quality wav ready to go to CD printing, iTunes, online, etc. I can also send an mp3 version if you need a smaller file size.
- If you have any questions or need help with your order please email me at email@example.com
Can you mix my song if I recorded it using software other than Pro Tools?
Yes. You just need to export time-aligned WAVs of each track in your session. If you are unsure of how to do this please contact me below and I can help walk you through the process. If you recorded in Pro Tools you can also just send us the entire session folder containing the session file and audio files sub folder.
What format should my files be?
My preference for mixing and mastering is 24 bit 44.1kHz WAV. However, I will be able to open and use WAVs with different sample rates/bit depths or AIFF files. If you send lower sample rate/bit depth wavs or mp3s I will be able to open them, but the quality of the final product will be compromised.
Do I need a "Full Band" mix or an "Acoustic/Solo" mix?
I consider a song "Full Band" if it has a drum set or more than about five parts. I consider a song "Acoustic/Solo" if your song is primarily acoustic guitar and vocals (and maybe one or two other simple parts) or if you are a rap or hip-hop artist and your song is a single track for the beat with vocals on top. If you would like to clarify please feel free to contact me below.
Is mastering included in your mixing fees?
Yes. I include mastering in my mixes by default. If you would like to send the finished mix to a different mastering engineer please let me know after placing the order and I'll leave the mastering off.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions:
firstname.lastname@example.org (619) REC-8070